Submitted by Edgar on Wed, 02/01/2017 - 5:00am
By: Raymond Powell
Much has been written about the Mansfield Female College, a Methodist College for young ladies. MFC established in 1854 by Dr. H.C. Thweat of Virginia and Rev. Doty of Caddo Parish preceded Pearce-Payne College for young men at Pleasant Hill by three years. Rev. E.D. Pitts, Methodist Minister at Pleasant Hill, saw the eminent need for a college for young men. Some of the other prominent people of the area that took leadership roles in establishing Pearce-Payne College were A.G. Jordan, Dr. F. Chapman, John S. Childress and others. The above three pledged $10,000 a year for a three-year period. It is interesting to note the merchants and plantation owners of Mansfield, a much larger town than Pleasant Hill raised $50,000 to start MFC.